Thursday 19 November 2015

First outing with my new camera

Strawberries in October - a first for my garden
Well it's been a busy couple of weeks but, in between household chores, clearing out the loft space and scanning photos of our 1991 camping holiday, I have found some time to begin to get to grips with my new camera. 

Until today my experiments have been confined to taking photos in the house and garden, most of which have already been discarded. There is so much more freedom to experiment with a digital camera than with the old film cameras. Not only did my first Brownie camera take a mere 8 photos to a roll of film, but it would be ages before the film was processed and the results seen. Even when cameras took 24 or 36 photos per roll it was far too costly to "waste" many if any shots on experimentation. Now I can take as many photos as I like and just throw away any I do not want to keep. 

A wise owl watching over Ruskin Park

Today I took my camera to a local park. This was a new experience for me, to go somewhere for the purpose of taking photos rather than just using photography as a way of providing a record of something that was already happening such as a holiday, a meal with friends or Christmas with the family. 

Even though its only a few minutes away and I pass it regularly, it felt really strange to be going to a park on my own just to take photos, I am used to visiting such places with family or friends. Although no one was around I was surprised how awkward I felt going into a playground to take photos of the animal statues that are there. If my younger grandchildren had been with me I wouldn't have given it second thought and would have quite happily taken numerous photos of them and of any of the objects in the surrounding vicinity. 


No one told me that there is a gate!
Why can't I come in too? 


















I was also amazed at how vulnerable I felt walking around on my own with a fairly expensive camera on a strap around my neck, even in the middle of the afternoon. I doubt that I will be doing much night time photography! 


No comments:

Post a Comment